Friday, September 13, 2013

My Chapter 1 Cultural Activity! Giuseppe Verdi


Victoria Lynn Wolfe
Professora Serena Zampolli
Italian 1
12 September 2013

Chapter 1 Cultural Activity: Giuseppe Verdi

1.        Why is this person important?
Giuseppe Verdi was an Italian composer from the Romanic period. He wrote some of the most admired and recognizable operas of all time. Verdi is still considered one of the most influential composers of all time. The operas he wrote are still performed regularly all over the world today.

2.        Why did you choose this person? How does her/his life relate to you?
I chose Giuseppe Verdi because I have always admired his work in opera. Since I was young I listened to his music and was amazed by the depth. Also, I am a vocal performance major with an opera concentration. Therefore, Verdi is a large part of my studies as a Mezzo Soprano.

3.        If she/he had never existed, would the world be different from how we know it now? Why?
If Verdi had never existed I do not believe that romantic Italian opera would have been as popular as it was during the 19th century. Verdi had an extremely profound influence during that time period. Also, the opera community would not have been as diverse if Verdi had not opened up new ways of writing and watching opera.

4.        If you could meet that person, what would you ask her/him?
I would ask Verdi for a private coaching. Also I would ask what time of his life he said, “I adore art... when I am alone with my notes, my heart pounds and the tears stream from my eyes, and my emotion and my joys are too much to bear.”

5.        Do you think the fact this person was Italian played a role in his/her achievement?
I believe very much that being Italian was important to Verdi and his achievement. In Verdi’s early 20s he studied opera in Milan. If he had not studied in the center of great Italian opera I feel very strongly that he would not have turned out to be the great composer that he was. Also, it was widely know that Verdi loved Italy very much. He once said, “You may have the universe if I may have Italy.”

1 comment:

  1. Brava Victoria! Great work. I loved your answers, very personal. And I discovered things I did not know before, like that wonderful quotation. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete