Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Amerigo Vespucci


 


Why is Amerigo Vespucci  important?
Amerigo Vespucci is an extremely important historical Italian figure. He was a navigator and the person for whom America was given its name. 
Why did I choose Vespucci? How does his life relate to mine?
I chose Amerigo Vespucci because I think his voyages were quite relevant to history, not only by adding this his own cultures successes in discovering the New World, but more importantly, my existence as a citizen of the United States of America which is located in North AMERICA (AMERICA...AMERIGO)
If he had never existed, would the world be different from how we know it now? Why?
If Amerigo Vespucci had not existed the world would only be slightly altered. I believe that someone at some point (We know Columbus as well as others also explored this region of the world) would have been given the credit. The main way that my world would be effected would be the name of the continents: North, South, and Central America would not be America's at all. Its hard to fathom them being named anything else, but it would just be normal if history had played out differently.
If I could meet Vespucci, what would I ask him?
I would ask him to describe his desire for travel and exploration. I would also inquire about what it felt like in general to exist in that time period when people didn't really know what was out there and what existed. For the longest time people thought that where they were was the extent of the Earth and that it was flat. I can't imagine what it would feel like to have your world turned upside down by the realization that there is so much more out there and you have no clue what it is. We have no way of feeling like this because for a long time now, we know the globe and are familiar with most places, even if we haven't actually physically gone there.
Do I think the fact this he was Italian played a role in his achievement?
I would say that his achievement was not based upon his being Italian. During a few of his voyages he sailed under the Spanish Flag and also the Portuguese. He actually became a naturalized citizen of Spain in 1505. It was probably more of a natural drive to explore rather than his Italian origin that can be accredited with his discovery of the New World.

1 comment:

  1. "I can't imagine what it would feel like to have your world turned upside down by the realization that there is so much more out there and you have no clue what it is." I really like this sentence you wrote. That century of discoveries must have been a very thrilling historical moment to live.

    ReplyDelete