Thursday, September 19, 2013

Giuseppe Verdi

Giuseppe Verdi

"Of all composers, past and present, I am the least learned. I mean that in all seriousness, and by learning I do not mean knowledge of music."



Giuseppe Verdi is a name that is famous in the world of Opera and Classical music. Composer of over 36 operas, and writer of at least 6 major music compositions, Verdi is a name that many musicians would be able to recognize. Many would most likely think of him from the titles of "Ave Maria," "Rigoletto," and "Jérusalem," which are just three of him more famous pieces.
Born the son of an innkeeper in the impoverished Po Valley on the 9 or 10 of October in 1813, Verdi had a rather remarkable childhood. By the time he was 9, he was serving as the replacement for his church's organist, and studying under other famous composers of the times. He eventually settled in Milan, frequenting many literary salons and gaining many valuable acquaintances. Verdi would one day be recognized as a national hero, standing for the Chamber of Deputies for the nation-wide celebration of the Italian Reunification. His song "Va, pensiero" became the unofficial Italian national anthem for quite some time following. The song comes from his opera Nabucco, performed by the enslaved Hebrews. The song's words have been shaped with time, and could even be heard in Italian Communist rallies of the 1990's.
I chose to research Giuseppe Verdi for several reasons. In general, I’m a fairly big fan of music, but opera has always been a soft spot for me. My great aunt, one of the few people who has been pushing me to become my very best since Day One, was very much into the Arts. Whenever she would babysit me, she would always play different musicals and operas for me, and one of my personal favourites was “Falstaff.” It’s taken me a while to learn to appreciate music for what it’s worth, and I wish that I had accepted it sooner. Now, our shared taste in the Arts is one of the few things that I have left to remind me of her. Another thing that spiked my interest, and reminded me of those days in my childhood, was a story I read a while ago in which “Falstaff” was mentioned, as well as Giuseppe. I’m always on a search for random aspects of History and culture, and it stuck with me since then.
I can’t say for certain if the world would be different, but I can safely say that there would be several fantastic pieces of opera missing from the world. Along with “Falstaff,” Verdi also composed “Rigoletto,” “Jérusalem,” and several other pieces based off of famous works from Shakespeare, Voltaire, and even Lord Byron. Besides composing these operas, he also wrote several other pieces, including the infamous “Ave Maria,” for Soprano and Strings.
Now as I write, however, I realize that he has had a much bigger impact than I have previously mentioned. In the latter years of his career, Verdi served as a representative for Italian Musicians at the London Exhibition of 1862. He would later gain international fame for his piece Aida, which captured the grandeur and the gravitis of the Parisian style while also maintaining a large emotional intensity, something very common with many of Verdi’s works. Simply put, the piece was very elegant, but also reached an emotional level that many audience members could relate to.
Verdi was married twice, once to a woman that he had basically grown up with, and the second to a prima donna he had met through his performances. The latter bore him three children, one son and two daughters. The girls were put up for adoption, though the reason is unclear from my research. Verdi’s death came on January 27, 1901, back in Milan.
If I could meet Verdi in person, I would love to ask him quite a bit. For one, I would ask him why so many of his works were based off of Shakespearean productions. Call it a quirk of mine, but I have a certain fondness for Shakespeare, and anything good that is based off of his works. Some of the plays that Verdi adapted include: Macbeth, The Merry Wives of Windsor, and Othello.
My second question for Giuseppe would address his hesitations with his second marriage. According to the data I’ve accumulated, the two lived together in Paris for several years before the marriage was finalized. I know that, in a normal situation, this is not a matter that I should be concerned with. However, due to the society of the times, I am curious.
In a way, I do believe that it’s a good thing that Verdi was born Italian. He was given many opportunities because of it. From living in one of the cultural capitals of the nation, to becoming a symbol of courage and patriotism through his music, Giuseppe Verdi has had an impact on his nation. He is one of the many that helped the reunified nation find its way back to the map, and reclaim infamy for its artistic prowess. Do I think Giuseppe Verdi would have become famous no matter his national identity? Without a doubt. But I personally believe that Italia, as well as the world as a whole, benefited from his contribution to the field of Music.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, Rebecca. Italy and the whole world have benefited from his great works and he really gave an important contribution to the new Italy and new Italians with his patriotic Music. Everyone should watch al least once one of his masterpieces, like "La Traviata", which is simply beautiful.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, Rebecca. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your memories. And I don't know if you know it, but there is a very special place in Milan related to Giuseppe Verdi: a home for retired opera singers and musicians he founded in 1896. People told me there's always music coming out from its windows :)
    http://www.casaverdi.org/en/index.html

    ReplyDelete