Thursday, September 19, 2013

Julius Caesar


1.       Why is this person important?

      Julius Caesar was an important Italian because was a great general and an important leader in ancient Rome. During his lifetime, he held just about every important title in the Roman Republic including consul, tribune of the people, high commander of the army, and high priest. He suggested new laws, most of which were approved by the Senate. He reorganized the army and improved the way the provinces were governed. The Romans even named a month after him, the month of July for Julius Caesar.

 

2.       Why did you choose this person? How does her/his life relate to you?

    I chose Julius Caesar because I admire some of the things that I have heard throughout my life about him. I also thought it would be interesting to learn more about someone who we talked about in class. One of his famous sayings was "Veni, vidi, vici." (I came, I saw, I conquered.) This quote really means a lot to me than just a simple saying. I say that because my senior season of football my coach put a sign in the locker room saying that same exact saying and ever since then I never forgot about it.

 

3.       If she/he had never existed, would the world be different from how we know it now? Why?

    If Julius Caesar never existed, I don’t think that the world today would be greatly affected. Yes he was a very important person back around his time, but though my research I couldn’t find much that connects him to our lives today. The only thing that I can connect him to our lives today is through the government. The only impact that could be connected to him is the two-party system, which is a form of party system where two major political parties dominate voting in nearly all elections.

 

4.       If you could meet that person, what would you ask her/him?

    If I could personally meet Julius Caesar the first thing I would ask him was what his secret was to be the best leader at his time and how he was in all those battles and never lost.

 

5.       Do you think the fact this person was Italian played a role in his/her achievement?

       I don’t think him being Italian played a role in his achievements. I think if he wasn’t Italian he would still be the same great leader we all know him as.  

 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Anthony, very good job!

    I definetely like the motivations that pushed you to pick up this person.
    I think there is no a valuable example of leadership such as Julius Caesar.

    On the other hand, I have to disagree with you when you say that without him the world would be continue to be the same. Under Julius Caesar empire, Rome has known a flourishing period where lot of scientific discovery as been made, particularly in the military field. Without, probably, the modern technology would be 500 years ago.
    Maybe you can to study in deep this part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Matteo. And also remember that Giulio Cesare changed the political structure of the Roman Empire, concentrating the power in his hands in what was going to become a tyranny. He has been a great leader, maybe even too able in gaining power, what do you think? Thank you for sharing your answers, Anthony!

    ReplyDelete